Monday, January 20, 2014

KIDS THESE DAYS

I was watching football yesterday and while I was watching, a commercial caught my eye. Watch it below.


Whaaaat? We have to promote playing outside now?! When did this become a thing? I know technology is taking over the world, but I assumed children still played outside. Do they not?? I find this insane! You couldn't pay me to stay inside when I was a kid. We had a park next to the apartment building I lived in when I was younger, so my mom would take me and my brother there all the time. I remember trying to swing higher than the kid next to me, splashing in every puddle I could, and running after the ice cream truck. Those were memories! Then I got older, and we moved into a house with a basketball hoop attached to the garage. My driveway instantly became the place to be. Practicing trick shots, playing knockout, and seeing who can make a shot from the farthest distance became my new memories. It wasn't until after it got dark, and I was forced to come back inside, that I logged on to my computer, turned on the television, etc. Technology only crossed my mind, when I had nothing else to do.

I started google-ing this whole promote kids to be more active outdoors thing. Did you know that
"the percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who are obese increased from 7%  to 18%. Today, about one in three American kids and teens are overweight or obese." That's crazy! But now that I think about it, it makes sense. I never see kids playing out on my block anymore and playgrounds are always empty. The only people I see outside are people walking their dogs. Why, because they're stuck in front of a screen. Apparently, US youths spent more than seven and a half hours a day using a smartphone, computer, television or other electronic device. "More small children can play a computer game than ride a bike. 58% of children aged 2-5 know how to play a ‘basic’ computer game. For the UK and France that jumps to 70%." Don't get me wrong, technology has done a lot of good in the world. But if it's stopping kids from playing outside and being healthy - are we really using it the right way? It has become an addition, and this only after 20 years-ish of having the internet. I don't even want to think about the world 100 years post the internet.



Okay, I'm done. Please play outside people. I swear you'll have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment